Time for a hands-on art project! (See what I did there?) The possibilities with this project are endless! We’ll teach you how to make a few creatures. Can you think of others you can create? View the instructional video, where we’ll also learn some science, talk about fingerprints, and share a few extra tips for this art activity. Don’t forget to check out my lesson on fingerprints that perfectly accompanies this STEAM project.
Let’s get started. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ink pad
- Googly eyes
- Glue or glue stick
- A wet paper towel or rag for cleanup
- Your hands!
And here’s how it’s done:
- Press your finger into the ink pad (any finger works!)
- Then, press your inky finger against the paper. Make sure to press your whole fingertip down hard, or you might end up with a half-print!
- Lift your finger straight up off the paper. Be careful not to smudge.
- Give the fingerprint a moment to dry.
- Use markers to add embellishments!
- Glue on some googly eyes.
Voila! You have your very own, unique fingerprint creature!
In our video, we made birds on a wire and butterflies, but you can make any creature you’d like!
For more projects like this, head to The Winkle website and YouTube channel. To incorporate STEM into your child’s learning with minimal effort, subscribe to the Winkle Crate for projects delivered monthly, right to your door.